Monday, July 13, 2009

My Cowboy

I don't know about the rest of you but sometimes, when I'm laying in bed trying to go to sleep, blog post ideas creep into my mind. It's so clear what I want to write & say that the impulse to jump out of bed & start typing is almost too much for me to ignore. However, actually jumping out of bed & blogging would forever prove to my wonderful husband that I am some sort of internet addict & I need some sort of intervention. So last night, I lay there thinking & I knew that today would include a wonderful post about the process that I have made on my scrapbooking journey, but I'm sorry to disappoint you, that will have to wait for tomorrow.
My husband came home today for lunch, which is always my favorite. There's something about actually being the one to lovingly fix him lunch instead of a random high school student slapping some meat & veggies between 2 pieces of bread while hoping their manager doesn't catch them texting at the same time....
I don't really know why I get so much enjoyment out of it, especially when you take into consideration my
hatred of washing dishes, but I really do. It's nice to have him home, in the kitchen, or sitting on the couch watching whatever happens to be on the History channel.
Today his lunch choice was chicken noodle soup & grilled cheese sandwiches. I absolutley love making grilled cheese! I'm a sucker for pb&j too.
Once he made his way back to work, I sat down at the computer to check on a few things.
*should read: Read my favorite people's blog updates* As I was catching up, I saw that my friend Chelsea @ Roots & Rings mentioned another blogger by the name of Pioneer Woman.
For the sake of curiosity I found her website & as soon as it loaded, I knew that I would like this pioneer woman. A while later I realized that I had gotten completely caught up in the story of how her & her husband had met and married.
While I'm ashamed at the sheer amount of time I spent absorbed in her story like I would a good novel, I have to say that it made me think about my own relationship.
You see, I too fell in love with a cowboy & know exactly what she is talking about.
It doesn't matter how many types of men you date, jock, prep, surfer, etc. The cowboy truly stands out in a class of their own. Something about their deep gravely voice, their strong arms that come from not just lifting weights, but true labor & the musky smell of man, horse, hay & dirt that mingle together to create an intoxicating cologne.
*Sounds gross I know, but until you experience it you can't understand.
While our life has taken an unexpected twist & we're no longer the primary caretakers & trainers of 20+ horses & herds of cattle, that life will always be deep rooted in our hearts. It's something that stays with you, tending to cattle, checking fences, cleaning stalls, riding all day. It's something that stays with my husband & that he incorporates into all other areas of his life & business. He has a inward need to take care for his family, land & animals. He is calm & affectionate. He understands that animals..
or in my case, women :) require a certain amount of patience. He is thankful & loves the land that God has created & enjoys nothing more than being out in it.
I was a lucky woman to marry a Cowboy.
A lucky woman indeed.

3 comments:

Candace said...

Love the new layout!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! I think our hubbies need to hear things like this more often.

I'm so glad you get to experience PW now. Be careful though, she'll make you feel like you aren't good enough. I swear she has more hours in her day than we do. So read cautiously! :)

RCaitlin said...

That's so sweet :). I get random ideas for blogging all the time but usually forget them. My BF loves my grilled cheese sandwich. It's the only thing he lets me make for him haha.